Top ten reasons why you should volunteer
- 10It's good for you! Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards including reducing stress and depression, as well as strengthening the immune system.
- 9It saves resources. Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.The estimated value of a volunteer's time is $20.25 per hour.
- 8Volunteers gain professional experience. Internships are a great way to gain professional experience and improve skills as you test out a career.
- 7It brings people together. As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to work with a diverse group of people, as well as other volunteers who share the same interests and passions as you. Plus, it is a great way to team build with co-workers, and spend quality time with friends and family.
- 6It promotes personal growth and self esteem. Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
- 5Volunteering strengthens your community. As a volunteer you help support families, improve schools, help the sick and elderly, support youth, and beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
- 4You learn a lot. Volunteers learn things about their own hidden talents and interests, as well as gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
- 3You get a chance to give back. People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
- 2Volunteering encourages civic responsibility. Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
- 1You make a difference. Every person counts! If 1,000 people gave 10 hours over 10 weeks, we would see 10,000 hours of community change.